Breast Implant Revision procedures at Restore SD Plastic Surgery
Have you had prior Breast Enhancement surgery and now need some refining or lifting?
Do you want to change the size of your implants or just want to have them removed? Did you have a complication after previous breast surgery? Revision breast surgery may be the right choice for you. Revision breast surgery is one of the most complex areas in the field of cosmetic plastic surgery, and the surgeons at Restore SD Plastic Surgery are experts with over a decade of experience in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery.
The Best Candidates
- Have an identifiable and correctable abnormality in breast look or feel with current implants
- Have realistic ideas and expectations of what can be accomplished with surgery
- Are healthy and a stable weight
Have experienced implant rupture, capsular contracture, sagging or asymmetryproducts
- Are motivated to improve breast appearance through a multi-modal approach
- Are not taking blood thinner medications or using nicotine products
- Capsular Contracture – Capsular contracture is a common condition that affects women with breast implants at a rate of approximately 10%. Implants are a foreign object and your body’s natural response is to create a scar tissue capsule that surrounds the implant. Over time, the capsule can begin to tighten and can affect the way the implant looks and feels on your chest. Treatment for capsular contracture involves removing the implant and the scar tissue capsule, then placing a new implant and letting your body begin the healing process again. Certain adjunctive maneuvers during surgery and medication after surgery can help decrease your chance of having another capsular contracture.
- Implant Exchange – Sometimes implants are too big and heavy and other times they may be a bit too small and you want to upsize. Sometimes implants rupture. In any event, implant exchange is an excellent way to change the size and projection of your breasts to achieve the look you desire. Breast implants are not designed to be forever devices and they will eventually fail. If you have an implant rupture, implant exchange with or without removing the surrounding scar tissue is the treatment of choice.
- Acellular Dermal Matrix/Absorbable Mesh – In the last decade, the introduction of acellular dermal matrix and absorbable mesh products have revolutionized the approach to revision breast surgery. These amazing products allow surgeons to enlarge, decrease, modify, and soften the implant pockets to achieve an improved breast appearance. These products do carry an increased cost and it is very important to realize that revision breast surgery is often more expensive than an initial breast augmentation or lift due to the complexity of the surgery as well as the expense of the materials used.
- Fat Grafting – Fat grafting, as an adjunctive procedure, is a wonderful addition to revision breast surgery. Using the SAFELipo™ technique, fat from your own body allows your Restore SD surgeon to sculpt the breast into an improved shape and can address small volume asymmetries very nicely. You also get the bonus of a little liposuction at the fat harvest site!
- Reconstructive Approach – Occasionally a patient comes to us with a problem so complex that the best solution calls for a reconstructive approach. Whether it involves a completion mastectomy, use of tissue expanders, or just patience, hand-holding, and listening, the surgeons at Restore SD Plastic Surgery are here for you. Time and patience are great allies in correcting significant cosmetic breast issues. Frequently, a staged approach with multiple procedures spaced by 4-6 months can lead to a significantly improved appearance.
- I’m Done – I just want them out! – The decision to permanently remove your implants may arrive someday. It is good to know that you are not alone and many women will reach a point where they are happy to leave heavy implants behind and downsize to a smaller breast size. The surgery that best accomplishes this will differ from person to person. Some women have enough residual breast tissue that simply removing the implants and scar capsule is all they need. Other women have experienced the effects of gravity and may have some natural drooping of the breast skin that occurs over time. The surgery in this case may involve removing the implant, the scar capsule, and performing some form of breast lift. Your Restore SD surgeon will discuss with you the safest way to achieve your desired look. In certain circumstances, everything can be done at once while other circumstances may dictate that the safest approach requires two separate surgeries spaced by 4-6 months.
After surgery is completed you will be able to go home with a responsible adult. Ideally, this loved-one or friend will be able to stay with you during the first few days of recovery. Some postoperative surgical pain is expected and you will be prescribed pain medication to help ensure a comfortable recovery. Initially the area around the nipple and most of the breast skin is numb but sensation returns over the next few months. Most women can return to work after 2 weeks. Normal daily activities like showering, eating and light activity such as walking can be resumed within 24 hours after surgery. Some postoperative swelling is normal and generally resolves within the first 4 weeks after surgery. You should refrain from intense physical activity for 4 weeks. During the recovery period, you will have follow-up with your Restore SD surgeon and will be guided back to your usual activities. Most complications occur from getting too active too early, so select a surgical date that allows an appropriate amount of time to heal and gradually return to your more vigorous activities.
The Combined Procedures
Revision breast surgery is a uniquely individual decision. Maybe you are unhappy with the results of your previous breast enhancement surgery or maybe gravity has been at work and your prior surgery needs a little tune up. Revision breast surgery can yield dramatic and durable results that will keep you looking good for years to come!
At Restore SD Plastic surgery, we pride ourselves in delivering safe, consistent, and reproducible results. Smoking tobacco or using any nicotine products has adverse effects on wound healing. Your risk of tissue or nipple loss, infection, and prolonged incision healing are much higher if you use nicotine. We recommend a nicotine free period of 8 weeks prior to surgery and at a minimum 4 weeks post operatively. We have a simple urinary nicotine test that we complete in the office to help you on your journey to a safe and gratifying surgical experience with us.